The São João Baptista fort is situated in the wonderful Berlenga Island. The small Berlengas archipelago, situated at about 10km distance of Peniche. The fort was built in 1651 on the orders of Dom João IV.
Built to prevent this island being occupied by North-African pirates or enemy powers and defended at the time by a small garrison of less than twenty men.
Nowadays the São João Baptista Fort works as a “shelter-house”, a kind of Bed and Breakfast, and is one of the accommodation places of the archipelago, offering twelve main rooms and eight on the walls, as well as a convenience shop and a restaurant.